DBDesigner 4 - Features
DBDesigner 4 provides powerful features to create a visual model of any database.
Starting from a reverse engineering engine to automatically retrieve a model from existing
databases, extensive modeling tools and editors to a syncronisation function which will apply
model changes automatically to the underlying database - it is all part of DBDesigner 4.
Design Mode vs. Query Mode
DBDesigner 4 supports two switchable userinterfaces. The Design Mode is used to create and
maintain the visual databases model. The Query Mode is used to work with table data and
build complex SQL query statements for the use in PHP, Kylix or another programming language.
Plugins and Open Source
The models created in DBDesigner 4 are stored in XML. They can be modified by
third party plugins which are direcly launched from within DBDesigner 4
and other third party products.
Because DBDesigner 4 is an Open Source project it is easy for programmes to develop
new plugins or expand DBDesigner 4 to adapt specific needs.
List of features
* Version control only available when using database storage
- Available on Linux / MS Windows
- User Interfaced based on industry standard layouting software
- Canvas navigation similar to Adobe Illustrator® and Photoshop®
- Palettes (docked / floating) including "Bird Eyes view"
- Available objects include tables, realtions, labels, regions, images
- Extensive Drag'n'drop support
- Extensive Popup-Menu support
- Advanced Editors
- UNLIMITED Undo-/Redo- functions
- Copy-/Cut-/Paste clipboard functions (XML, DDL)
- Align functions
- Design Mode / Query Mode
- Reverse engineering MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL and any ODBC databases
- Userdefined schema-generation
- Model-To-Database syncronisation
- Index support
- Automatic foreign key placement
- Weak entity support
- Standard Inserts storing and sync
- Full documentation capabilities
- Advanced model printing
- Output as image
- All MySQL datatypes with all options
- User defined datatypes
- Database storage, ability to save model within database
- Network-/Multiuser access through database storage
- Version control*
- SQL Query Builder
- SQL Command History
- SQL Command storage within model
- Plugin interface
DBDesigner 4 is constantly under development. You can see the current ToDo List by following the link below.
If you have any wish for improvement or you want to submit a bug please take a look at the service section.